Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Cushions

Our cushions on our couch always reveal what's been going on. When Charlie and Matt were here together over spring break, the indents in the couch in the family room showed how they'd been hanging out or up all night or even sleeping there. The pillows get tossed to the floor and they are free to lounge wherever. The blankets tell the story of how long they were there. Twisted up - usually a long time. Gently tossed but not totally unfolded - usually a short sit. The pillows and cushions on other couches are usually moved only a little. In the living room, the pillows get pushed aside when we have a quick conversation while waiting for someone to get ready or on our way out the door, but they don't really retain any imprint of an extended stay. When cleaning the office, I'll move the pillow to the center where it sits up nicely. Jason will move it to the end to take a little nap and it folds gently against the arm of the couch. In our 'coffee chairs' in the kitchen, the back cushions have to be turned each week to feel fresh because we sit there so much. Whatever they do, the pillows help. They are there to hold us up for whatever kind of moment we are in. Thankfully we don't have bare benches made of wood. Thankfully we have lots of cushions and pillows around to soften our days for when we have a few minutes or a few hours to relax and rest and step away from the blows of the world, and lately, there are a lot of blows.

When I wrote on Monday, I hadn't yet heard the news about the school shooting in Nashville at Covenant School. It is so unbelievable that we are still dealing with this. I don't have words. Last night my husband and I were trying to make sense of it all and we just can't. I think I've signed every petition I can. I called senators and representatives. I don't know what to do. I don't want to know any more innocent people who lose their lives on a day that should just be about going to school, playing a game, eating some dinner. Not planning a funeral. How could there be so much pain in the world? How could someone want to inflict more pain in the world? Obviously, there is more to the story. Some people's lives are full of wooden benches. But aren't we doing better? Aren't we more compassionate and understanding? Aren't we getting the help we need?

I feel like I want some cushions to these blows, not for me, but for all those who are suffering. Whatever they are suffering with. I guess it comes from surrounding ourselves. It comes from other people. It comes from love and prayers. But sometimes the prayer is simply, "Oh dear God..., oh dear God...,  oh dear God..."    Sometimes that is all we can say. Sometimes that is all we need to say. Sometimes that is enough of a cushion against the blows of the world. 

Here is a podcast of Kate Bowler's, called Where We Turn for Meaning, and it's on Consolation. It is a beautiful vision of how we bear pain. 

Today I wish you a cushion against the blows. A moment of rest on the pillows. Someone to listen. And if all else fails, just a prayer:  Oh dear God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...