Friday, March 10, 2023

Connecting

Often we hear about how important it is to grow, stretch our wings, reach out. I've heard from astrology friends that the planets are aligned in a new way right now and that this is an incredible time to bring new things into our lives. But what? you ask. What am I trying to do, what am I trying to grow toward? The only way to answer that is to be grounded, to be deeply rooted in who we are. Then we'll know where to grow, how to grow, and what we need. 

So how do we get there? First, we have to go back to what we wanted as young 20-somethings. What were you dreaming of then? How has your life matched those goals? How has it veered off course? Are there dreams that have been dormant? Just lingering beneath the surface? When we connect back to our truest selves, the ones that existed before kids, before marriage, before time and life took a toll on us, what does that self still yearn for? Going back to our roots, connecting to our inner child, our inner voice will encourage us to find that dream again. It might look different, it might not be the same on paper, but we can bring forth that energy to reclaim a part of ourselves that needs some attention. Lent is a time to do this inner work, to find that thing that brings us a sense of fulfillment. Then, when we are grounded in that truth of who we are, we can ask ourselves, What do I want? And we do more of what it takes to get what we want. 

When I go back to my 20s, I remember working at Ann Taylor in River Edge, NJ, the flagship store back in the 90s. At the end of a long day, we were trying on new suits and outfits. I remember standing in the dressing room - it was so pretty in there - in a very elegant golden yellow-colored skirt suit with a wrap-style jacket and belt and thinking, I'll never get to wear this being a teacher. Now I want to do something different. I want to wear the suit! This may sound superficial, like what does that have to do with finding a purpose in life. But I think it's something that I need to explore. I need to find a way to harness that inner power that the suit represented to get me toward my next goal. And I need to find that vintage suit on ebay or something!

What are you dreaming of? What do you long for? I hope today you have time to sit with your inner 20-year-old, to connect, to listen, and to find what's next. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...