Thursday, March 9, 2023

Expecting


 Yesterday for lunch I made Campbell's Beef Barley soup. It was way in the back of the cabinet and I thought I'd just clean it out. Making the soup reminded me of the time when I first found out I was pregnant. During that pregnancy, I craved Campbell's Beef Barley soup, so much so that I drove half an hour to a store to get some. We lived in farm country then and of course, we didn't have uber eats, so we had to go out and fend for ourselves. The funny thing is, it was exactly 25 years ago. Making the soup yesterday for lunch took me right back to that time. Sometimes I wonder what it is that jogs these memories - the light, the air, the temperatures outside, the season, the smells? Anyway, I remember that time - being so careful of everything, careful about moving, careful about sleeping, careful about working too much, careful about lifting or carrying anything, careful about what I ate and drank. The doctor wanted me to take it easy., not traveling, not standing on my feet too long, which was difficult while teaching. For a few weeks, we were really worried about the baby. But all the same, it was such a joy-filled time. All my life I had wanted to be a mom and now it was going to happen. Everything we did was tip-toeing around the idea that we were going to have a baby. I don't think I've ever been as excited. 

It's a great feeling to be expecting. To have something wonderful to look forward to. Lent is that way too. It comes in spring for a reason. We suffer through the last dark days of winter and know that soon, very soon, we are going to wake up to sun and light and beauty. This song, The King Shall Come, talks about the beauty that is soon to come. "When morning dawns, and light triumphant breaks, When beauty gilds the eastern hills, and life to joy awakes..." 

What are you expecting? What do you long for that is right around the corner? How can you protect that dream of yours and make it come to life? I wish you a wonderful time of expectation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...