Thursday, February 23, 2023

Solitude

I remember learning about photography from my dad when I was a teenager. I had gotten a 35mm camera for Christmas one year and he explained to me about lenses and settings and aperture - how much light was being allowed in through the lens. It changes the focus and the concentration of the picture that develops. Remember when we had to know these things? We can do the same with our lives: How much light are we letting in and what is it focused on. I know for me the light is usually focused on other things, other people, other events. In Lent, we can take some time to focus on our inner room, let the light land inside us and see what's going on in our hearts, our minds, our bodies. I know I'm a different Me in different situations - the Me when I'm alone meditating is different from the Me when I'm at dinner with my husband. I invite you to narrow the lens, widen the aperture, and focus inside. How often do you find time to be alone? When can you just be yourself and know yourself? When we ask the question Who Am I? can we find an easy answer? 

One of the ways I've learned more about myself and Who I Am is by studying the Enneagram. If you haven't tried it yet, there's a survey you can answer to give you a deeper understanding of yourself. It's encouraging to know that there are many different types of people, some who share the same worries and the same drives, the same strengths, and the same weaknesses. There are 9 different numbers that describe the various stances or the ways we see ourselves and the world around us. And these are all different faces of God. So by learning about ourselves, we learn about God and others too. If you have more time and want to plunge into the Enneagram, The Road Back to You was very enlightening... 

Today I hope you find a few minutes of solitude - to focus inside, on You.  

1 comment:

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...