Monday, February 27, 2023

Beneath



 I love this time of year when little things start poking out of the ground - things that were invisible before, things I had forgotten about since last spring. Ironically, the kale in the garden is growing again despite no care or effort on my part. The little purple crocuses came out of the ground last week, but I think they shied away again when the cold spell hit this weekend. I'm so wonder-filled to see these things that were hidden. It reminds me of two things. One is a song called The Summons. One line is "will you love the "you" you hide, if I but call your name." I think that means we need to learn to love ourselves before anything else can happen, even the parts of us that we think we need to hide, out of shame, out of fear, out of mistaken despair, out of depression, or depravity. 

And the other thing this season reminds me of is this beautiful little book that I came across last weekend in the most adorable little book shoppe in Boston, Beacon Hill Books & Cafe. The picture book is called Beneath, by Cori Doerrfeld. In it, the character and his grandfather take a walk and wonder about all the things beneath, and they learn about themselves in the process. 

I hope you have a day of uncovering all the beauty around you, but also within you, that you may just keep hidden beneath. 


Beacon Hill Books, Boston, MA

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...