Saturday, January 26, 2013

This Moment

So many blogs I wish I had written, so little time.

So what have I been doing?  Well mostly wishing I kept in touch.  But every blog I read mentions the fact that the author has been away from blogging and is sorry.  I am sorry too.  It's not hard to wonder why this is.  January days seem made for sleeping in, wrapped up in a blanket, drinking hot chocolate.  It is hibernation season.  At the same time, it is rather depressing.  The sun isn't out much, everyone is sick or knows someone who is, and spring seems so far away.  New Year's resolutions, broken or forgotten, seem to have failed us.  The days drag on diligently but we've lost our spirit, we've fallen behind in the race.  It's the Christmas hangover, the gifting-coma.  It makes me want to pack my bags and move to Massachusetts, and start a maple syrup farm.  But then the report about toxic sugar surfaced, and maybe it's not a good time to get into that business!  So here we are.  Stuck.  Rhymes with...

But then on a cold Monday morning earlier this week a new President strolled down the streets of Washington with a new First Family and took an oath.  And he said something that I can't get out of my head, "We were made for this moment..."    I can't stop thinking about that line.  We were made for this moment.   No matter the crisis, we have the tools to handle it, the knowledge to do what is right, and the experience to do it well to step up today to do what needs to be done this moment.  And it doesn't have to be grand.

Poet Richard Blanco followed President Obama and said these words:
One sky, toward which we sometimes lift our eyes
tired from work: some days guessing at the weather
of our lives, some days giving thanks for a love
that loves you back, sometimes praising a mother
who knew how to give, or forgiving a father
who couldn’t give what you wanted.


Some days... I am tired from work, from everything that haunts us.  But we lift our eyes.  We lift someone.  We lift our words and our spirits follow and everything will come together.  We were made for this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...