Thursday, April 6, 2023

Servants

 No, I do not have servants. I still clean my own house and my husband still does our lawn. We did have a company come to remove a tree, but we don't have servants. The idea of servants is a humbling one to me. I cannot imagine asking someone to do things for me that I could capably do myself. But there is the reverse concept too - Can I imagine myself serving others in a servant position? I don't know. There is something uncomfortable about it. 

In the social culture today there is a concept of the Servant Leader. It can be dated back to ancient times, but the basic principle is that a person serves the organization and its people and that the organization serves the person as well. Robert Greenleaf wrote a book on it in the 70s. One question for a servant leader to ask is, "Do we, and those we serve, grow as people?" I have worked for two women in my life who embody this principle. They are such magnanimous leaders that in their presence, you feel lifted. They were educated, thoughtful listeners, who led amazing organizations that were designed to serve. Each time we were to begin a project they would consistently offer support. "If you need anything, call me," is what they say. I aspire to be a servant-leader like that. The humility with which they bear their position inspires others to do more and to be more. 

Christ was like that. Today is Holy Thursday, the day on which we recall Jesus' washing of the feet. He served those he led and humbly cared for them. In ancient times, walking on dirt roads was, well, dirty. But how their feet must have ached! They walked most everywhere. In sandals. I know how my feet feel and I've got pretty supportive shoes. The symbolic washing of feet today is supposed to teach us how to serve and how to lead. He inspires us to kneel before others and say, What do you need? How can I care for you? Let me give you comfort. I know a mom who washes her kids' feet every night before bed. It is so soothing and refreshing. 

These are hard shoes to fill, pardon the pun. How do we begin to care for others? To be for them and with them? I guess it begins by walking with them. And then by washing their feet. The Servant Song describes it well, I will weep when you are weeping, when you laugh, I'll laugh with you.  Beautiful words for what it means to be with others. 

Who are you with? I hope today you can be with others who make you feel lifted and I hope you can lift others too. 

I think about racism in our society and I wonder how I can lift those around me. How can I be a servant leader to the most marginalized in our communities? 

1 comment:

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...