Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Open House

 We are planning a party later this spring that is going to be an open house. We will invite everyone on our list and hope that they can all attend. We will welcome those we haven't seen in a while and those who we see every week. We will welcome those who get on our nerves and those we are close to. We will welcome everyone. The littles, and the bigs, and the old and the young. The neighbors, the family, the old friends, and the new. I started to get the yard ready this morning because we are supposed to have great weather for a few days. 

In our search for our mission, our vocation to help others, can we be as welcoming? I never felt so welcomed as when I visited my grandmother when she was still with us. She would stop whatever she was doing and just get a big smile on her face, clasp her hands together, and just bestow so much love on me. From the time I was little I cannot remember a single time she was upset or disappointed in me. If I told her something unpleasant, she would click her tongue at the story, but never at me. I have since learned that that is a very Irish thing to do, clicking her tongue. Anyway, I wish I could be that way for people who know me. 

One time I walked into church and my niece Mabel, who was about 3 at the time, turned and saw me. She almost shouted, "YOU'RE HERE!" as she ran down the aisle to be scooped up by me. I couldn't help but smile and laugh and let the joy fill my heart. How can we be that way for others this week and always? How can we have not just an Open House, but an Open Heart to others? How can we say to them, "You're here!" How can we find ways to let others know that everything is okay, that they are loved, that we feel joy when we see them? Perhaps in there is our vocation, our calling to do more for and with others. 

The other day we were talking to Annie on the phone and we asked about Easter plans. Her response without blinking an eye, was, "Oh, yeah, Mom, we are all going to come down!" This meant Annie and her 5 roommates. I was very surprised but delighted that she would want to do this. After we talked logistics, though, it didn't work out. I was so sad. Between her classes and teaching, she wouldn't be able to get down. But I'm still so glad that she thought she could. She knew we would welcome them. Last night, Charlie did the same thing. He told us he "offered the other bed in my room" to a friend on the crew team. We are looking forward to welcoming him on Saturday. 


With my own children and their friends, this is easy. It's not so easy with people who are outside the inner circle of people I love, people on the margins. Who are the people we welcome? Who are the people we find it difficult to welcome? I think by acknowledging how we find difficulty, we can then make amends. 

As you prepare your home for spring, or for an Easter gathering, I hope you can feel your heart expanding as well to welcome those who may be a little more difficult. Have a good holy Tuesday. 

2 comments:

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the t...