Skip to main content

Before paint

So this was our living room the day we moved in.  Lots of potential, right?  We didn't know where to begin, but things gradually took shape.  A couch, a piano, a rug.  A lamp, a table, a chair.  Things have flowed in and out of this room as we try to reorganize our belongings to fit the house, but the paint color was a major point of interest.  That was one thing that would remain.
We spent almost two weekends at Sherwin Williams trying to find the right color.  My goal was 'peacock blue.'  Fairly simple, right?  Not really.  Anyone who has ever tried to match paint color to an idea for a paint color knows the process is overwhelming.  So we tried to adjust the color by adding more tints.  Finally the paint-mixer said to me, "We cannot go any further with this paint.  It is at its capacity."  Who knew?  They can only add so much color saturation before it becomes... well, saturated.  (literally filled to the brim!) 
This is what we started with:
SW6776 Blue Nile  BLUE NILE
 So, we started again.  A different base color.  Now we have what I had envisioned. 
SW6517 Regatta  REGATTA   
Only, that was not the end of the blue story.  This is the really ironic part.  One day, shortly after we painted, a neighbor brought us some blueberries and I invited her in to see the house.  Well, when she walked in, her jaw dropped.  I thought to myself, oh no, we've ruined what had been a beautiful room!  No, that wasn't it at all.  The room had been the same shade of blue!   All along I thought I had this wonderful idea for a paint color for the room, but really the room was speaking to me.  So here it is, our accent wall:

These are a few things I learned about paint color shopping: 
  • Bring a color swatch with you from fabric or a magazine to compare
  • Look at the paint stores samples in outside daylight because not many people have flourescent lights in their living rooms
  • Ask yourself, "Is this green?  Is this purple?  Is this blue?"
  • Don't be afraid to play, it's grownup art class
  • Find a coupon or sale so you can afford to play


We couldn't be happier with the room color.  The fabric we found to match works really well but I am still playing with another contrasting fabric.  It all depends on the furniture we actually choose to stay in the room.   I think I will just let the room speak to me...
Joannie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeds

 Last night I ran to Target to get lettuce for Taco Tuesday. It wouldn't be the same if we didn't have tacos and I didn't want to disappoint Charlie. Charlie doesn't even live here right now, but for some reason, it is important to continue these traditions and be able to tell him that we had Tacos on Tuesday.  Anyway, in Target there was a whole display of seed packets, brightly colored, shiny packets, with pictures of everything from Okra to peas to sunflowers to Sweet Williams. I stood there a moment holding my lettuce. The packets were nicely organized and so appealing. The sun in the pictures made the flowers glisten just so. It's hard to believe these little envelopes could contain so much goodness inside.  I know we've heard this analogy before - water that which you want to grow , and plant seeds of kindness, but for some reason last night it struck me differently. Sometimes it's messy. My garden right now is a mess. We removed the old tomato plants...

Connecting

Often we hear about how important it is to grow, stretch our wings, reach out. I've heard from astrology friends that the planets are aligned in a new way right now and that this is an incredible time to bring new things into our lives. But what? you ask. What am I trying to do, what am I trying to grow toward? The only way to answer that is to be grounded, to be deeply rooted in who we are. Then we'll know where to grow, how to grow, and what we need.  So how do we get there? First, we have to go back to what we wanted as young 20-somethings. What were you dreaming of then? How has your life matched those goals? How has it veered off course? Are there dreams that have been dormant? Just lingering beneath the surface? When we connect back to our truest selves, the ones that existed before kids, before marriage, before time and life took a toll on us, what does that self still yearn for? Going back to our roots, connecting to our inner child, our inner voice will encourage us to...

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the two days since you heard  your Uncle Rich passed. You thought about your dad and your cousins and your aunt and how sad they must be and you checked in on your dad. "I'm so so sorry." And you went to work and you did what you had to do. And now you are ready for another day and you are thinking of all the things and then you are crying and you are little again and vulnerable  and your heart hurts. And you remember everyone. Medford Lakes and a swimming pool and laughing so hard  and dancing around a Christmas tree and fireworks by the lake at night. And you can see his face and all their faces smiling Aunts and uncles and cousins and brothers who aren't here. And you remember his voice, deep and laughing, and you remember his kindness and his advice. "Are you taking vitamin C, Joannie?" You see all their faces and you mis...