Skip to main content

Nesting

This morning I am creating a nest. I am building it from scratch with spare parts that have been left around from
another owner. We are vacationing in a house on a lake near Grandfathers, since that currently has no running
water. We love it up here. It is a place that is carved in our hearts and our stories. 

Since this is a foreign house, I am trying to make it feel like home. We have been here for 2 days and now I see the
needs and small fixes I can do to make things more ‘ours’.  I have brewed coffee and put away the dishes from last
night. I have placed a small rug by the door to catch our shoes that are caked in pine needles and fallen beech
leaves and sand from the beach. I have moved the ottoman away from the chair it belongs to so that we have an
extra seat. We have more people than it sits. Charlie made a chair with two pillows and leaned them against the
end table. We are all working to build the nest. I am using pillows and blankets which I found in an upstairs closet
to make it comfy and a little bright. It is becoming more fitted to our needs.

The refrigerator is stocked with our favorites too, which also helps it feel like home. There is a big gallon of milk,
and orange juice, strawberries, blueberries, peaches. Lunch meat and cheese in the drawer. Wine and beer on the
door. I brought condiments from home in old jars and we served them with a knife. I like that better than the
squeeze jars anyway and I might do that at home now too. 

“Do we have peanut butter and jelly?” Charlie asked yesterday. Yes we do! Yes we d0! I thought. Score one for this
mother. But I calmly replied, “In the cupboard next to the stove.” When we come up here we have to plan well.
The closest general store, Avery’s, circa 1880, is about 25 minutes down the mountain. The closest modern grocery
store is about 45 minutes away, maybe 35 if you take the mountain roads at 45 miles per hour, which some of us
have been known to do. 

Today we will sit by the lake and our cousins will come up from a small town down the mountain. We will hike as
far as we dare. We will plunge into the lake. We will take out the canoe and fish and wade and wander. We will take
naps wherever we can find a spot, on the beach, on the grass out front, in one of the beds upstairs. There are
king-size beds in two of the rooms and space for 5 in another. There is a nook at the top of the stairs that can fit
more. The big bonus is a shack outside with two rooms, more like a porch really but we could move out there if
we needed to. It is a wide nest. It fits everyone and everything that you want to do. Play games until midnight?
Check. Eat all day? Check. Climb a tree? Check. Swim all the way across the lake? Check. 

Maybe I have written something similar before, about nesting and children and mothering. But the nests are
different these days. They are temporary, as everyone travels back to school, back to their own apartments,
flying across the country and taking trains from Boston. The nests created now have to serve a deeper need
for refreshment and rejuvenation and relaxing and resting for these young adults who are still my children,
who are still children at heart. They have to have enough good memories built in to remind them that it’s
okay to play. They have to have enough stimulation to show them that it’s worth coming back for. They have
to be full of love. There is no room for arguing or taking strong stands. When I mispronounced “Aussie” last night,
I have to let that be the joke. When I remind them of such and such and they say, “Mom, that never happened!”
I have to wonder if I did actually recall it right. When I suggest dessert after they’ve had 3 beers, I have to let it go.
No one wants dessert then. Tonight I’ll suggest it earlier. 

The thing is, despite their age and independence, the Nesting takes as much work as it did when they were infants,
and my husband was putting together the crib for the first time. I made sure all the blankets and pillows were
out of reach. There were no choking hazards or cords or danger. The coffee table had bumper pads around it.
The tub had a safe spout. The temperature was just right. Today the dangers are just as hazardous and many more.
I cannot control it. They are exposed to choking hazards and cords that will tear them apart. I won’t bother
making the long list here. There are no bumper pads big enough to protect them from the sharp edges of life.
The water will run too hot and then too cold. I can’t do anything about it. 

But what I can do is offer these small nests. These times to return home and not be told to put the jelly away.
These times to kick off their shoes, even when they are covered in pine needles, and not be scolded for bringing
all this dirt in the house. I can serve warm meals and smiles. Donuts for breakfast and for lunch. If we’re lucky,
we’ll laugh a lot. We’ll go for a swim after a hike that ended in the dark. We’ll sit by the fire and be still.
That is the best Nest I can provide. Life is hard and painful. Creating a soft nest is all I can do.

I am sitting under a huge pine tree. There is a nest perched high on one of the top branches. I can't imagine how
she built it. It is thick and sturdy, and although I'm sure it is abandoned, it has lasted, through the rain and the
wind. I'm not sure what drives us as mothers, the will and determination, the strength, and the creativity to build
these nests. We are certainly amazing creatures. We create in love for our children.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Is Grief?

 What is grief? It is standing in the shower and  you are suddenly crying and then you are sobbing. And you barely thought about it in the two days since you heard  your Uncle Rich passed. You thought about your dad and your cousins and your aunt and how sad they must be and you checked in on your dad. "I'm so so sorry." And you went to work and you did what you had to do. And now you are ready for another day and you are thinking of all the things and then you are crying and you are little again and vulnerable  and your heart hurts. And you remember everyone. Medford Lakes and a swimming pool and laughing so hard  and dancing around a Christmas tree and fireworks by the lake at night. And you can see his face and all their faces smiling Aunts and uncles and cousins and brothers who aren't here. And you remember his voice, deep and laughing, and you remember his kindness and his advice. "Are you taking vitamin C, Joannie?" You see all their faces and you mis

Home for Christmas

  Dear College Kid and Post-Grads,  Welcome Home! You are finally here! And we are so happy to welcome you. It's been a long semester. You've faced trials and tribulations. You still need to meet your own benchmarks and others you've exceeded. But it's over now. For now, you must rest. For now, you are released from your duties and obligations for studying and group projects. You don't have to worry about homework and practice and when to wake up and when to eat. You are home. You can sleep until noon. We are here to love you back to health and wellness and give you that unmistakable feeling of home.  Some things haven't changed here at home. There will be bacon and eggs for breakfast and we will get cream donuts from McMillan's tomorrow. We will have bagels and cream cheese one morning. Some things are new to us. We will order the meat lover's pizza. We will make room on the shelf for your protein powder. Some things have changed. We painted the front d

Tomorrow We Will Make Coffee

We are all searching for guarantees.  The guarantee on shipping from our website order, the guarantee on the newly-purchased mattress, the guarantee that when we wake up the electricity will still be on, the guarantee that the weather will get nicer soon, the guarantee that my car will still be parked where I left when I get back, the guarantee of a healthy pregnancy, the guarantee of an easy child.  All the things we expect at the beginning of the day to go our way, the meeting, the conference call, the sales pitch, the ruling, the game, the score.  I see people searching for schools, looking for a guarantee that the choices they make, the selection of this school over that school, will guarantee that their child will thrive, be successful, and maybe happy.  They want the guarantee.  They expect it when they walk in, as if they were going to a car wash, that the car will be perfectly cleaned when it comes out the other end.  As if kicking the tires will guarantee the purchase they mak