Skip to main content

Window treatment

This is the theme of our bedroom right now.  Yes, even the fan matches.  Not quite the romantic master suite I had envisioned.  Since there is so much wallpaper to deal with, this room is one of the last on our list.  It will take some time to figure out what to do here, but in the meantime I wanted to share with you a quick and easy window treatment that you can use to easily update, or in our case, color-correct, a room.  I call it Panel-ies or Panel-ease.  My drapes from our old house were still in good condition when we moved, but weren't exactly the right color for our new rooms.   Here are some befores and afters:



The drapes are a darker tan color that doesn't go with blue exactly.  So I used some old fabric to come up with a new window treatment that didn't cost a lot or involve a lot of effort.  I simply hung the old drapes and added a strip of this blue and tan paisley fabric in front of the drape.  (As long as both colors are present in the fabric, it should work.  The other factor is scale of the fabric, one patter should be approximately twice the size of the other pattern, in this case, the wallpaper.)


They are not even sewn together so I can still change them out with another room or another panel-ly.  It livens the window up a bit and allows me to coordinate with what we had.  It won't last forever, but will let me take my time planning for this bedroom.



Now I just have to figure out what to do with this fan!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting

Often we hear about how important it is to grow, stretch our wings, reach out. I've heard from astrology friends that the planets are aligned in a new way right now and that this is an incredible time to bring new things into our lives. But what? you ask. What am I trying to do, what am I trying to grow toward? The only way to answer that is to be grounded, to be deeply rooted in who we are. Then we'll know where to grow, how to grow, and what we need.  So how do we get there? First, we have to go back to what we wanted as young 20-somethings. What were you dreaming of then? How has your life matched those goals? How has it veered off course? Are there dreams that have been dormant? Just lingering beneath the surface? When we connect back to our truest selves, the ones that existed before kids, before marriage, before time and life took a toll on us, what does that self still yearn for? Going back to our roots, connecting to our inner child, our inner voice will encourage us to...

Seeds

 Last night I ran to Target to get lettuce for Taco Tuesday. It wouldn't be the same if we didn't have tacos and I didn't want to disappoint Charlie. Charlie doesn't even live here right now, but for some reason, it is important to continue these traditions and be able to tell him that we had Tacos on Tuesday.  Anyway, in Target there was a whole display of seed packets, brightly colored, shiny packets, with pictures of everything from Okra to peas to sunflowers to Sweet Williams. I stood there a moment holding my lettuce. The packets were nicely organized and so appealing. The sun in the pictures made the flowers glisten just so. It's hard to believe these little envelopes could contain so much goodness inside.  I know we've heard this analogy before - water that which you want to grow , and plant seeds of kindness, but for some reason last night it struck me differently. Sometimes it's messy. My garden right now is a mess. We removed the old tomato plants...

Extra Layers

 I love this time of year, the After time. Don't get me wrong. I love the holidays too. Having the kids home for weeks and sharing their daily lives again is awesome. I love the decor and the celebrations and the food and even all the preparation in the kitchen and in the stores, collecting and gathering and creating. It's wonderful - the most wonderful time of the year. But what I really appreciate is this After time of year, the time after the grandiose holidays and the days before the spring air begins to breeze in. Winter - the Heart of Winter. The cold wind blows. The sun is low. The days are short. I don't even mind the darkness, it's a good excuse to go to bed early and wrap myself in books and tea and a heating pad. (I can't help it - I'm not young anymore.) And what calls to us is extra layers. Extra blankets on the bed. Extra sweaters and woolen mittens. Thick socks and furry slippers. A cozy wrap, a long scarf. Oatmeal in the morning. A bowl of hot so...